Raspberry Pi comes to the electrical and electronic market with a range of compacted computers. Approximately it consume the size of a credit card. But, due to input and output ports it consumes some more space than that. The current latest model of Raspberry Pi series is announced as Raspberry Pi 3 . It was released to the public on February 2016 and it carries a good combination of hardware and software. Raspberry Pi Foundation which was initiated in United Kingdom is the main body behind developing Raspberry Pi series. Raspberry Pi 3 is targeted to be sold for 35$. However this amazing single board computer is capable of providing a services of a general computer, media system, security or monitoring system, image processing system or even as a server. There are much more capabilities and possibilities that can be implemented with Raspberry Pi 3.
Raspberry Pi 3 Specifications
- Release date : February, 2016
- Price : Approximately 35 USD
- SOC-used (System-on-chip) : BCM 2837 (Broadcom)
- CPU : 1.2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex – A53 (32 or 64 bit)
- RAM : 1 GB running at 900 MHz ( LP DDR2)
- Storage : External Micro SDHC Slot. (at least 4 GB needed to setup NOOB)
- GPU : Broadcom VideoCore IV (300 MHz and 400 MHz)
- Power Consumption : 800mA , (4.0W)
With the announcement of the latest Raspberry Pi 3 powered with Broadcom 2837, they have introduced enhanced frequencies for GPU (Graphic processing unit). In previous versions of Raspberry Pie it was 250 MHz. But new version Pi 3 performs at 300 MHz on 3D part and 400 MHz on Video part of GPU. Also the performance is really high because of the the GFLOP (Flop represents a single operation within one second in computing) compatibility of Raspberry Pi 3 BSM 2837 version and the original spec shows that this configuration is ready with 1080p HD video a well.
Raspberry Pi 3 Operating System.
Raspberry Pi 3 is compatible with different types of OS platforms including Linux, Windows and even for Android. Please refer below list.
- Android (RTAndroid) Updated constantly
- Linux – Angstrom
- Linux – Arch ARM , No more image updates .
- Chromium OS
- Fedora ARM (Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3 and 2 only.)
- Fedberry (Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3 and 2 only.)
- Kali Linux
- Meego MER + XBMC
- Nard SDK (For Embedded systems)
- OpenELEC + XBMC
- OSMC , Open source
- Plan 9
- Raspbian , a derivative of pure Debian
- Raspbmc , is now OSMC
- Risc OS
- Slackware ARM
- Ubuntu Mate
- Void Linux
- Windows 10 IoT Core